Transfer Course Credit Policy

Please follow these guidelines if you want to transfer credit for a course taken at another four-year college or university in the United States or abroad:

  • Transfer credit is available only for Religious Studies majors and minors.
  • All transfer credit courses will be assigned a 900-level (general elective) number. No electives accepted for transfer credit by the Religious Studies Department may be counted toward the University's general education requirements.
  • Transfer credit is only available for courses whose work load is comparable to what is required for religious studies courses at the University of Richmond. These courses must be taken at a four-year college or university.
  • Coursework may be taken only at institutions accredited by a regional accrediting agency at the time the work is taken.
  • The department does not give credit for courses outside the University of Richmond that are taken online.
  • You must earn a grade of C (2.0) or better.
  • Transfer credits will not be accepted or recorded until the UR Registrar's Office has received an official transcript directly from the records office of the college or university attended.

Steps in the Approval Process

  1. Students should email the chair of the department with either a course syllabus or a lengthy description of the course with details about the readings and requirements, including examinations, presentations, and papers.
  2. The department chair will review course requests via email and respond via email whether or not the course is approved.
  3. If the course is approved, students should:
    1. For courses taken in the U.S., obtain a transfer work approval form from the Registrar's Office. Or, for courses taken abroad, obtain a study abroad course approval form from the Office of International Education.
    2. Complete the top portion of the form.
    3. Bring the form to the Department of Religious Studies and leave it for the department chair to sign.
    4. Within a few days, the department chair will email you to pick up your form and submit it to the appropriate office.
  4. If the course is not approved, students may need to communicate again with the department chair or make an appointment to discuss other options.
  5. Students must earn at least a grade of C (2.0) and have a copy of the official transcript sent to the University of Richmond Registrar's Office.